Do you know about Xylitol? Most people have no idea about Xylitol and its effects on dogs. This hidden threat is a poison to our dogs. It is responsible for poisoning dogs every year and is even known to cause death. It’s a popular substance in our everyday products and foods and is most likely in your home right now. Even though humans can consume it without risk, Xylitol is a potential killer to dogs. In this blog, we hope to teach you about Xylitol and help prevent unnecessary trips to the vet this year!
What is Xylitol?
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is naturally produced in many fruits, vegetables, and plants. It is a sweet substance that is also known as “birch sugar.” Although it’s a healthier alternative for sugar in our human diets, dogs cannot digest Xylitol, which could be very harmful to them. Xylitol has become a popular sugar substitute in our diets, so we need to be extra careful about what we give our dogs.
How Does Xylitol Affect Dogs?
Xylitol activates insulin production in dogs which can decrease your dog’s blood sugar levels. The effects of Xylitol can happen quickly if it is ingested. Since this substance affects blood sugar levels, your dog can feel the impact of this quickly and experience loss of coordination and loss in muscle strength. Depending on the amount of the substance consumed, your dog may experience anything from being lethargic and weak or seizures and death from liver failure if a large amount is consumed. Varying amounts can be lethal to your dog, so you must not feed any products containing Xylitol to your dogs.
What Products are Made with Xylitol?
Xylitol is in more products than you think. It is commonly known in sugar-free gum, but it is also found in so many sugar-free and no sugar added products. This substance can be found in: sugar-free baking products, ice creams, yogurts, some peanut butter, and condiments and sauces are even made with it too. Human toothpaste and mouthwash are also everyday products that carry this substance, so be sure only to brush your dog’s teeth with their doggie toothpaste.
Be sure to read the labeling for products to make sure it does not contain Xylitol. If you have products containing the substance, be sure to keep it out of reach from your dogs to prevent any emergencies.
How to Treat Xylitol Poisoning?
If your dog ingested something with Xylitol, you should take them to the vet immediately! Xylitol can take effect within minutes or hours, and depending on the amount consumed; this can be life-threatening and lethal. One way you can help your dog is by rubbing corn syrup or real maple syrup on their gums to raise their blood sugar levels. This is just a temporary fix that can help keep your dog conscious, but please visit your vet as soon as possible. If there is evidence of wrappers or things your dog might have consumed, then bring those with you so the vet can accurately determine a solution to the problem.
Xylitol is a dangerous and hidden poison in your home. It’s essential to keep all human food and products away from your dogs so they can’t get into them. Xylitol and its effects on dogs can be lethal, so keep an extra eye on your dog with Halloween coming up and candy being out for the festivities. If you need a pet sitter while you’re out celebrating Halloween be sure to contact us about our pet sitting services, and we are sure to keep your pup out of trouble!